3D experts concur that there is no major difference between Maya and 3ds Max. But they differ in very small significant features. The similarity between them is that they both are owned by Autodesk Company and here are some pros and cons of both.
- Different user interface
- Both software tools consists all significant tools for rigging, rendering, modeling, animation, texturing and dynamics
- 3ds contains large number of small tools that make the job of the designers faster.
- Stack operator of both the software work almost similar
- Some designers and animators agree that Maya is capable of handling higher level of complexity where 3ds Max is considered unstable.
- There are few interesting plug-in renderers for 3ds Max.
- For architectural visualization 3ds Max is optimized in well manner
- Only few tools in Maya are well suited for organic modeling but in 3ds Max there are more precision tools.
- When it comes to modeling nurbs Maya has got huge benefits over 3ds Max. Maya is more users friendly.
- 3D max has improved interoperability along standard industrial products and strong rendering capabilities.
- Mays is well popular with tasks that involving animation superimposing and character rigging
- Most of the 3D animators believe that Maya is the better software for creating 3D animation because it has greater capacity.
Normally Max is used widely for games and Maya is for film work and TV production. Max is well suited for modeling tools.